Volunteers are the heart of the Carriage Barn. They bring dedication and enthusiasm to all the tasks at the barn. Students become part of the Carriage Barn family because staff and volunteers help integrate them into the barn community. Riding or driving lessons serve as a vehicle for developing greater confidence, and enhancing socialization across the age groups. Volunteers help students achieve their goals through humor, patience and lots of fun.
The rewards of volunteering at the Carriage Barn are many. It is gratifying to see students develop skills they thought were impossible for them. These outcomes cause them to formulate goals to widen their accomplishments. As volunteers we are fortunate to help students find their potential, doing something they not only grow to love, but achieve at any level they choose. We get to watch them meet each other as equals with common interests and goals despite huge obstacles.
Volunteers are important team members to our program. Spend an hour or many hours, whatever your schedule allows. There are many ways that you can help us fulfill our mission. Click the tabs below to learn more about how you can get involved.
Our programs use a team approach to help each participant maximize the benefits of the equine relationship. Participant, horse, instructor / therapist, and volunteers are this team. Volunteers are important team members to our program. Volunteers are trained to side walk, lead, and assist before, during, and after riding sessions. Experience with horses is not required. Volunteers enjoy their time in the program as they watch participants gain confidence, strength and healing, spend time with other volunteers and staff, and learn about horses.
- Turning out horses (bringing horses to outdoor paddocks)
- Horse training & conditioning
- Groomng & tacking for a lesson
- Muck stalls
- Clean tack
- “Grooming” arenas & paddocks
- Gardening, landscaping – planting & maintenance
- Help set-up & serve at a lunch / dinner
- Bake for lunch / dinner
- Donate food for lunch / dinner
- Clean up after a lunch / dinner
- Donate raffles or auction items
- Find donors for raffle or auction items
- Sell raffle tickets
- Help organize an event
- Grant writing
- Use the Barn office or do at home
- Write & send press releases
- Write feature articles
- Photography & video recording
- Update info for our website
- Find sponsors for riders
- Make a scrapbook / picture album
- Collate responses to marketing
- Organizing files
- Assembling mailing packets
- Making copies & collating